VERY RARE! Cloudland: A Selection of Poems | Illustrated by Walter Bothams | Antique Poetry Book | Circa late 1800s
"To one who has been long in city pent, 'Tis very sweet to look into the fair and open face of heaven, to breathe a prayer...
So begins Cloudland, a VERY RARE, stunning, late 19th century gift book of poetry, beautifully illustrated in sepia tones by renowned artist Walter Bothams.
Cloudland includes poems from Keats, Whittier, Blake, Morris, Quarels, and more. A small, 12-page book printed on heavy quality paper, Cloudland captures a serene, pastoral sense of the times, gentle with its emotions and mindfulness. Or as Whittier describes it
"No longer forward or behind I look in hope or fear | But grateful take the good I find | The best of now and here."
A rare and wonderful find for poetry lovers, antique book collectors, or anyone who yearns for a walk in Cloudland.
• Cloudland: A Selection of Poems
• Illustrated by Walter Bothams
• Beautiful sepia toned art on each page
• Stunning cover art
• Published by Hildesheimer & Faulkner, London EC / Geo. C. Whitney, New York
• Circa 1880s/1890s
• Card stock cover and heavy gauge gift-book paper with corded binding
• 12 pages
• Measures 7 1/2" x 6 1/2"
• In very good condition for its age
• Some soiling on the covers with a few tiny dents and creases
• Pages have yellowed a bit but otherwise are clean and unmarked
• Page 8 appears to have a small water stain (but no other stains on any pages)
• Pencil inscription on the inside front cover "Della"
At Bixley, forgotten treasures are looking for a home to call their own. We love the "as is" quality of vintage pieces and hope you do too. Please read our description carefully and take a good look at our photos. We'll do our best to point out any of the bumps and bruises of age.